Stories, comments, observations and opinions by a Texan who is happily retired in Sonoma, California. Once a Texan....always a Texan.

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

First Day of Blogging



Okay, I've signed up and I'm ready to try this blogging thing. I want to be a woman of the 21st century, not a lagger stuck back in the dark ages of the1900's.
I was born and reared in conservative, southern and western-styled Houston, Texas were my conservative values were formed. Having experienced this town from a population of 15,000 to several million, it wasn't necessary to move elsewhere to learn about different cultures and viewpoints. The petrochemical businesses and it's growth brought people and their customs from around the globe. Houston and I have changed greatly through the years. As Houston was torn down, tilled under, rebuilt, and expanded, so was I. We "older native Houstonians" are so rare we are similar to other extinct species. To stay alive in the changing environment each of us morphed and adapted until only our outward appearances looked the same. That facade is one of the attractive things about folks who live in the lonestar state. Every new Texan quickly learns to walk with a certain swagger and acquires at least one complete cowboy or cowgirl outfit with a Stetson hat and Lucasse boots. Acquiring a taste for Lonestar Longnecks, Texmex and real barbeque is easy.
I left my Texas home, dear friends and family to head west in 2003 to live closer to my three grown children and their families. My life started over in Sonoma, California with it's historic plaza, abundant vineyards and intellegent, talented, forward-looking citizens. In four short years I've left many stagnant opinions fostered in the southern environment and have become more enlightened in northern California. However, I still get tears in my eyes and my heart flutters when I see a Texas flag waving, hear "The Eyes of Texas" or see a field of bluebonnets.

No comments: