Stories, comments, observations and opinions by a Texan who is happily retired in Sonoma, California. Once a Texan....always a Texan.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

COUNTDOWN TO SURGERY

 Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five……..

I’ve had my days of anxiety and fear but thank God for God.  I don’t talk much about my faith because I don’t make a good preacher but I couldn’t make it through a day of normal living, much less through a major life event,  without prayer and reading  the Bible.  It still amazes me how that book really does have all the answers.

I had wanted to get everything in order before being out of commission for a couple of weeks, or longer, hating to leave messes and incomplete projects scattered all over the place, but, alas, it is what it is and I’m sure my family and friends will do just fine as they kindly take care of me during the healing process. 

THANKS ! THANKS! THANKS!  to each of you for your prayers, many kind messages and requests to help in any way needed.  It brings tears to my eyes just thinking about all the love and well wishes…..like giant hugs only better!

To bring you up to date of the medical side of things….. The hospital and doctor’s assistants have called to double check insurance info and, I guess, to be sure I’ll show up Tuesday for the pre-op tests and interviews and then Wednesday at 6:30 AM for the operation.  The facial seizures, ear ringing, spinning episodes and hearing have become worse reminding me that “yes” it is time to get the show on the road.  I’ve had headaches and some sharp pain on the right side of my head and face; my right eye hurts.  These symptoms make it easier to have the surgery, like God tapping me on the shoulder, encouraging me onward. 

I had some great days while visiting Nebraska and meeting my newest grandson born December 14th.  I think he and I came to an agreement about crying and spitting-up and bonded while dancing and sharing family stories.  My other grandson and I celebrated  birthdays (his second and my sixty-ninth yikes – still can’t believe that number – thought I was still in my forties).   He taught me a lot about tractors, his main interest.  He is an expert already (It is amazing, really.)  (I mean, do you know what an Allis Chalmers front-loader is?)

My book's first proof has been approved.  I am thrilled about this although I had hoped to have it complete for Valentine's Day.  "Stories for Emma" will be available on Amazon by late March.     

I had a dream about being on a gurney, hospital gown in place, rolling “bump, bump, bump” down a bright hallway, turning, throwing me into the metal safety bars, people in teal jump suits running all over, smells of antiseptic in my nostrils, large double doors opening into a space-ship, more bright lights and instruments hanging from the ceiling, surgeon leaning over me saying, “Mrs. Strauss, Meta, can you hear me?”  Then he removed his mask and he was Richard Gere!  Now, that’s positive.  



LINK TO UCSF AND MY MEDICAL TEAM

No comments: