Stories, comments, observations and opinions by a Texan who is happily retired in Sonoma, California. Once a Texan....always a Texan.

Monday, April 8, 2013

GOLDEN YEAR CHALLENGE....approaching 65




ANOTHER DAY IN THE LIFE…..approaching 65.......

Today I received another large packet of Medicare Insurance information. My knee-jerk impulse was to make a quick call to the 800 number telling these well-meaning folks that I know I’m going to be 65 in a couple of months and I don’t need a reminder. Leave me alone while I pretend I’m still 40. I think the whole Medicare paperwork nightmare is really one gigantic test designed to punish baby boomers for using up the nation’s wealth.

It takes the nerves and patience of a brain surgeon to sort through the stacks of insurance information arriving daily in my mailbox. There are pamphlets from companies like Blue Cross, Blue Shield and AARP which I keep in one stack. The envelopes from companies I’ve never heard of, like Northwest National Heritage Association and Homeland Health, land in the garbage. I have to wonder how this many companies found out I have “the big birthday” looming in my immediate future.

The myriad of letters and booklets offer information designed to tell us seniors (that’s the nice word for old folks) how to prepare for the onslaught of medical expenses on the horizon. These complicated insurance plan catalogues are designed to prove we are no longer functioning adults. They are full of undecipherable charts, graphs, and statistics reminding that now is the time for me to spend all my savings; not on the trips I had imagined, but on bedpans and pills.

Thinking of the old codgers up in Congress who want to add even more government regulations, makes me shutter. I worried about having early Alzheimer’s, and after reading through a few pages of the government’s plan, I am sure I have symptoms. Did plan J include a hospital stay deductible or was that Plan I? If my ears go out would a hearing aid be covered on Part A or was that Part B; or, would supplement C kick-in if surgery is necessary? I double checked on the mental health coverage. I suspect I’ll need to be committed soon, due to the stress of working through the mass of forms.

As I take a break for my lunch of salad greens and chopped veggies dotted with vinegar and a touch of olive oil, I reminisce about the hamburger, fries and malt days. I remembered the times my mailbox was full of fashion catalogues and Reader’s Digest Sweepstakes, not promotions for preplanned funeral arrangements.

No comments: