Stories, comments, observations and opinions by a Texan who is happily retired in Sonoma, California. Once a Texan....always a Texan.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

October 2010 Progress (or Not)


Because my facial spasms (seizures) became more frequent and intense, my neurosurgeon suggested Botox treatments.  This sounded good to me, Botox; maybe I’d get a face lifting reaction which would be great!  I’ve noticed lots more sagging and bagging everywhere, face included.  So, thinking “cosmetic”, not “medical”, I visited with another Neurosurgeon at UCSF who specializes in facial nerves. 

He first explained that I am fortunate not to have great pain associated with my facial contortions, many patients with my acoustic neuroma problem do.  Botox injected by neurologists can lessen the effects of the seizures.  We scheduled an appointment.

Then, Dr. Barbaro mentioned that after looking at my latest MRI, he thought my “tumor had grown and what was I going to do”.  “What, grown?” I said.  “I understood it has not grown, and is stable.”


That’s when I found out the “little pest” was not satisfied with being dosed with high powered radiation rays, no, it was back to reek havoc and that’s why the “spinning” and “seizures” had worsened.  We discussed possibilities, perhaps the MRI had shown swelling, not growth.  Dr. Barbaro would confer with Dr. Parsa and the other members of “the team” that had become “my team”.

Two days later another MRI was scheduled. 
Three weeks later I had another MRI. “The Team” could see if and how fast my friend, “the pest” was growing, or not growing.

I am now an “expert MRI patient.”   I have to say I feel a bit guilty spending all the Medicare and Blue Cross money on what’s probably my tenth MRI at $6000.00 a pop….but not so guilty that I don’t take advantage of this diagnostic tool.   My trick to smooth MRI’s is deep yoga breathing, closing my eyes for the entire hour or so and pretending I get to have a rest, no phone calls, no interruptions.

Then, I waited for the results.  A week, then two passed.  I called to get results and was told the team; “My Team” was reviewing and would get back to me.  Another two weeks, then another two.  I’m encouraged.  If anything bad was found, they would have called.


No comments: