Stories, comments, observations and opinions by a Texan who is happily retired in Sonoma, California. Once a Texan....always a Texan.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Spinning - Arriving in California

 
Early in 2006 my symptoms were very slight.  My hearing was fine, very few “spinning” sensations (I had been accused of being a dizzy blond all my life), some ear-ringing (but that could be from anything).

As I settled in my new home town, Sonoma, I had a hard time remembering I had a slow-growing, but ever-present tumor in my head. My daughters and granddaughter lived near; one in Sonoma, another in San Francisco and my son was in Palo Alto.  I went to Farmer’s Market each Tuesday evening for picnics.  I visited wineries, learned the roads to Petaluma and Napa. Met new friends and began a new life. I was more relaxed and happier than I had been in many years.

I continued my research for information about the acoustic neuroma.

I arranged a referral to the University of California San Francisco through a doctor friend of my daughter, Elizabeth (Thank you Tonya).  A group of UCSF doctors researched and were now performing a revolutionary alternative to traditional surgery called “Gamma Knife Surgery.”   Gamma rays are electromagnetic protons produced by sub-atomic particle interactions, or radiation particles that can be specifically directed to very hard to access tumors (got that off the web). 

Medical records were sent and an appointment set. The UCSF doctors conducted more MRI’s and tests. The neurosurgeons and radiologists verified I was a suitable candidate for gamma knife because my tumor was small and I was in good health otherwise. There was also an outside chance it would stop growing. We could wait and watch and decide what to do later.  What a blessing!  Because this was a benign growth, I had time!

All along I, and many friends, had been praying for healing.  I practiced visualization techniques to make the tumor shrink.  My yoga practice became more serious and I believe the combination of prayer, exercise, relaxation and deep breathing helped prolong the growth process. God had been holding my hand for years, lead me to California and I knew He would guide me. I kept the faith.

No comments: